Our aim is to make ordering a headstone as simple and stress free as possible for our customers.
If you are looking to place a headstone for a loved one you may find the information given here quite helpful.
All new headstones will require permission from the appropriate local authority before they are erected in one of their cemeteries. There will usually be a fee attached to this which is charged by the council themselves. A few local authorities now include this charge as part of the original lair purchase.
It is best to check your deeds or have a look at our council fees page for more information.
Although we handle the application process on your behalf, there are a few things worth noting.
- The council will only accept applications from or on behalf of the registered lair owner named on the lair certificate.
- You will need to provide us with the lair certificate. It is advisable to make sure you have it handy.
- If the certificate is in someone else’s name you may have to transfer it into your name. You can do this by contacting the council and completing an indemnity form.
- If the certificate has been lost, the council can issue a copy which may come with a fee.
- Some application forms will require a signature from the lair owner. We will provide a copy of this form for signing.
Draft your inscription
It is a good idea to come in with an idea of what you would like written on the headstone. If you are struggling, we can offer advice or ideas concerning the wording, fonts and layout etc. We also supply you with a scale drawing of the headstone with your chosen wording. This gives you an idea of how the final output will look. We want you to be 100% happy with the design of the headstone and will take time during the proofing process to ensure this.
Consider our optional extras
Our headstones have the option to include a vase hole in the base or a stocked design on the headstone. We include one of each in our prices and can guide you through the process of adding more if required. You can even leave them out entirely and just proceed with an inscription.
Ordering a headstone
The one thing we find that some of our customer’s don’t expect is the huge range of stones on offer. All of our granite headstones are available in varying sizes, shapes and colours. Our galleries only show a fraction of what is available, but you are able to swap things around to truly personalise the headstone.
For example, a typical headstone measures 2’6″ overall in height. There is the option to increase or decrease this depending on any restrictions imposed by the local authority.
Hopefully you will find this guide helpful if you are considering ordering a headstone from us. If you still have questions please don’t hesitate to contact us. We will be more than happy to help you design the perfect memorial for your loved ones.